Welcome to my blog!

Hello from New England! Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Monday, October 11, 2010

What wonderful fall weather. It was such a joy to take my morning walk. Although at first, it seems a bit of a struggle to get myself to go, I always end up glad I did. (And my body thanks me too, lol) The air was crisp, about 50F, with so many delicious scents. Newly mown grass, sun warmed hay, fallen leaves, a faint scent of apple orchard, with a touch of cow manure. Yup. Cow manure. Not so thrilled with that, but in very faint wafts, not so bad. Always reminds me of when I lived on the farm growing up, so really it's a good thing. Would have much preferred horse manure, but, oh well. :0) Mostly it was just a crisp clean scent. The weather was just perfect for getting yard work done. We trimmed the front evergreens, mowed the lawn, even cleaned out part of the garage. Went out for breakfast at our favorite place - this has turned into a weekly event. When I suggested we go somewhere else, my husband got this 'what???!' and then disappointed look on his face. I started to chuckle. I couldn't help it, I could just see what he was thinking. He had been thinking about this breakfast since dawn likely, and couldn't fathom going anywhere else. We always have the same thing: #4 on the menu. 2 eggs over medium, 1 sausage patty, deep fried homefries, with raisin toast. Except I did try their pumpkin pancakes this time. Good flavor, but not cooked quite enough. Pumpkin definitely needs to be cooked well. It is so reasonable too. Our bill always come out to just under $14 for the two of us, and it's plenty of food. Oh, and that includes coffee. :0) We then drove up to Ray's Farm Stand and picked up a 25# bag of beets for making pickled beets - my honey's favorite. He puts them on his chef salad he makes every night for supper. Also picked out some pumpkins, large and small, and a large bag of Cortland's for apple butter and chutney. They are my favorite apple and so versatile. Dropped by Tractor Supply Center for bird seed (quite reasonable compared to our local hardware store) and stopped at Cowards' Farm, and visited their new barn. They sell pumpkins and cut-your-own Christmas trees, and some gift items. It's a great barn, with a wide covered porch. We would LOVE to have a covered porch like that. On the way home, we dropped into Cupola Hollow Farms to browse their selection of homemade jam, jellies, and relishes, and decided on a 1/2 lb. of homemade peanut butter chocolate fudge. It is so smooth and creamy! Yum! I also got a couple of chocolate covered pretzels, one dark chocolate for me. They were really good! I'm thinking of making these for Christmas gifts. I know I'd enjoy a gift bag of these. A quick stop at the CVS and our local grocery store for bananas and milk, and we were done for the day. We had planned to go to Olive Garden for my birthday, but decided to try to get there sometime this week for supper instead. Sunday's are always so busy there. We had a great weekend. But Monday always comes after. But that's ok, because it's laundry day. Clean clothes are a good thing, right?

0 comments: