Welcome to my blog!

Hello from New England! Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Friday, May 15, 2009

The catbirds are courting under the maple tree...

(Angelique Tulips from my garden)

The catbirds have indeed been courting under the maple. Usually it's back in the thicket where I can hear them, but not see them. They are such curious creatures, with their catlike sounds, but they also have quite a repertoire of songs and calls.

I've also been hearing the trill of a thrush or two. I just LOVE to hear the thrushes sing. They have such flutelike tones. They are very secretive though, so it's very hard to find them. They usually stay hidden near the edge of the woods. I have a little spring out back and sometimes in the evening you can see them hopping about. They like to sing early in the morning, or later in the evening. Sometimes most of the day if it's cloudy enough.

The Mockingbird has been singing for a month or so as well. He such an entertaining fellow. He prefers a bit more open space, so he spends most of his time at the neighbors, near their pond and barns, as he loves to find the highest peak and just sing to his hearts content.

Speaking of singing, the House Wren has been singing his tiny little heart out daily, starting shortly after dawn. He's a very determined little fellow, bless his heart, to find a mate, and has an amazing set of lungs. He can carry on for hours!

I haven't seen much of the Carolina Wrens lately though. They are one of my favorites - potbellied little birds with stick tails. So cute and curious. A friend of mine once had them nest in her clothes pin bag. She left it alone all season for them to use. I just love that.

The Rose-breasted Grosbeaks are back. I have a pair that visit the feeders regularly. They aren't a bit shy, as you can get quite close to them. They just watch you curiously, all the while munching on sunflowers seeds with their powerful beaks. The male is sure beautiful, with his black and white plumage and rosy breast. The female is, of course, several shades of brown, with an eyebrow slash of white. She is bigger than the sparrows, and different enough in her markings that she will make you wonder what she is if you don't already know.

A couple of summers ago, I had an Blue Grosbeak. I only saw him that one time at the feeder, but I managed to squeeze off a quick shot. What a gorgeous color of blue. I felt privileged to see him. (I just did some more research on this guy. At first I thought he was an Indigo Bunting, but they are quite small. Although I can't really see his wings, I think he is indeed a Blue Grosbeak. If anyone was a more definite idea of what he is, let me know.)

0 comments: