Welcome to my blog!

Hello from New England! Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Button Button, Who's got the button?

I recently went through my button box - an old yellow tupperware container from the 80's. Remember the orange, yellow and green line? Yeeaahh... me too. Not my favorite colors then either.
I thought I'd share some of my photos with you (while eating Gifford's Black Raspberry ice cream straight from the container! Yum! And no, I don't usually do this, but today it just seemed the thing to do... :0))

I had a good start on most of these buttons, if not nearly all, when I found a container of buttons in the attic of an old farmhouse we bought back in 1982 or 1983. It was a turn of the century farmhouse, and the lady who passed on was in her 90's. I think she had lived there most of her life, and when we bought it, there were a few neat old things left.

One was a very very old small Bible. I can't remember if it was in German or not, but it was very old. I haven't seen this for a few years, so I'm not sure if my mother has it, or I do. Since there are a few boxes I haven't unpacked for several years (ok, I really want to buy a house now!!), it's possible it's still in one of them, along with several antique dishes I forget I even have. It will be Christmas and better when I finally unpack them all for good.
Back to the attic. I can't recall much else, as we sold this house 3 years later, so it's been a long time ago, but I still have the button collection.


There are a lot of neat buttons in there, some I think might have some value, such as a few that might be Bakelite.
Now I don't know what these are made of - does anyone know? They could be lead. Did they ever made such a thing??
They are a heavy stone-like material. Perhaps they were covered once.
If anyone has any thoughts on these buttons, I'd be happy to hear them.


This is an odd assortment. Some mights be Bakelight. Acouple are wooden, the dark one of the left is metal. The off white/blue edged one is kind of funky. Any thoughts on that one?

(If you need to, you should be able to click on each picture to make it bigger.)














Are the red ones just plastic? How can I tell?














A bit of miscellaneous stuff found in the button box as well. Not sure what that round goldish metal thing is with all the holes...









And, we got your standard garden variety of whites, tans and torties...













and we got your standard garden variety of black and metals.
Oooh! Even a bone ring button. That is, I think it's bone...














And these very special buttons are...
Beans! Yup, that's right. I found these beans in there too! I wonder if they are magical...hmmm.....

2 comments:

limpingalong said...

Picture the gold metal thing with all the holes in the center of an opening with laces going from the side, though a hole, and then back again. I've seen it in the open back of dresses.

ctgardengirl said...

Oh yes! I know what you mean. Neat! Thanks for the input! :0)