Welcome to my blog!

Hello from New England! Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Scams...

Just a quick post.  I thought this was important enough to mention here.
We are shopping for a used boat, so we've been perusing Craigslist.  We've looked at a couple, and inquired about a couple more.  We rec'd an email back in regards to our inquiry on one,  from some lady who said she was in the military, being deployed to Afghanistan this month, and needed to sell her boat within the next 2 weeks.  Excellent condition- great price.  Just what we were looking for.   
In our second email, we asked for an address and phone number, so we could come see it and set up a time.
Her 3rd email said it was in Topeka, KS, ready to be shipped.  (Funny how we found this on the Boston area.)
She would ship it to us, through EBay (Ebay?  Where did that come in?) so we could use it for 5 days before buying, or ship it back free.  She said she was a legitimate Ebayer, and would prove it.
She said she 'couldn't get off base' to show it to us, as she was getting ready to be deployed.

WELL.  About this same time, we got another email from another ad we had responded to, another boat, only 2 years newer, and about the same cost.  This was from another military lady!  With almost the same wording and excuse about being in the military.
I thought, ok, how can this be?  So I did an internet search, and lo and behold., this is a scam.  Apparently it's been going on for sometime, because the forum I found had posts dated from 2010.  And also, it's not just boats, but cars and ATV's as well.  
We didn't get to the point of talking money - I sent back my last email stating I knew it was a scam and 'shame on them'. I am assuming they get you to send a check, which they will 'hold' until you decide if you want the item.  Or perhaps they get your credit information, I don't know.  All I know is you can't be too careful these days.  If it sound too good to be true, it more than likely is.


Lesson learned.  If you can't go see it in person locally, BEWARE!  And NEVER EVER send money to someone you don't know through Western Union, etc.  

Also, as a seller, the checks sent to you can be no good, can be from 3rd world countries, which can take months to clear - only to find out they are no good. 


http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Escrow-Insurance/Car-Scam-Beware/520186369

This link will take you to a forum on EBay discussing scams, and show many people who rec'd the same emails I did, in some shape or form. 

Hope this helps inform you and keeps you from falling for something like this.  



2 comments:

connie said...

just to add, my son was selling a truck, a young man emailed him telling him to set up a paypal acct and he would deposit the money for the truck and shipping, and wanted it sent thru western union, my son set up paypal, then the young man threatened my son, stating he was in the military so we contacted paypal and it was a scam..Paypal in turn took over and handled the situation..This taught my son to do the same, if you can't meet in person,in a public place, then be weary... All turned out good, my son sold truck to a young man he went to college with.. I was shocked and have always wondered where people get such ideas in their heads... Be careful out there its a scary place...

ctgardengirl said...

Connie: Thanks for posting your experience - I don't know how people can sleep at night thinking this way.
Do you have a blog? From your profile it looks like we have much in common. We recently saw the movie Courageous. It was AWESOME! I loved it. I think I went through a 1/2 box of Kleenex. Really touched my heart. Let me know if you wish to share your blog, would like to keep in touch. :0)