Welcome to my blog!

Hello from New England! Thanks for stopping by!

Pages

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Hot Chicken Provolone Sub















This is my version of a favorite sandwich from the restaurant 'Southside Two', in Caribou, Maine from long ago. I used to go there for lunch with my best friend Sandy. I don't know if they are still open, but I see from a quick search on the internet, that there is a 'Frederick's South Side'. Maybe the same owner?

Today, some 16 years later, I recreated it to the best of my memory. I think I may have hit the bulls eye with this one. It was SCRUMPTIOUS!
It was a hot chickeny, tomatoey, cheesy, oniony bundle of goodness!

I'm sorry there is no photo. It looked pretty, I was hungry, and..I ate it. Sorry. You will just have to make do with the rooster photo above. I will try to control myself next time.


Here it is:


HOT CHICKEN PROVOLONE SUB

1 Hoagie Roll, toasted on griddle or under broiler
1 Chicken breast, precooked (did mine in the oven, sprinkled with rotisserie chicken seasoning and a bit of hot sauce for flavor)

1 small tomato, sliced

A few slices of onion

2 Slices Provolone

Miracle Whip or Mayo 

Butter for saute and roll

First, I buttered a split hoagie roll, then toasted it on a griddle. (I do this with bagels, so much better than toasting them in the toaster!) I sliced the chicken breast into 3 layers, so it was thinner (the restaurant used chunks, I think slices are easier to handle) and sauteed them briefly on the griddle in a TB or 2 of butter while the bun was grilling.
This is to heat the chicken, and add a bit of moisture and flavor. The butter really does help! :0)
When the bun was done, I spread the bottom half with Miracle Whip or Mayo, then layer ingredients in this order: chicken, tomato slices, and the provolone.
I broiled this on a aluminum foil pan in my toaster oven til the cheese melted.
(I like to see a tinge of golden color forming on my cheese.)
Meanwhile, I spread a bit of Miracle Whip on the other half (top) of the hoagie roll.
When the cheese was melted, I removed it from the oven, slid it onto a plate, added the sliced onion and the top bun. Slice in two portions. Blissfully enjoy!


It tasted exactly as I remembered it from the restaurant after all these years. And yes, if you are ever up in Caribou, waaayyy at the top of Maine, try Southside. Tell 'em Susan sent you.
(ok, they will have no idea who I am, but you can tell them I mentioned them in my blog if you like.) :0)

Vive la Southside!

(PS: I'm sorry about all the font changes in this post - I have tried and tried to change that, but for some reason, they just won't 'take'. Go figure...)

0 comments: